The year 1995 marked the Centennial for the Louisiana Society, Daughters of the American Revolution. It was in 1895 that Louisiana's first chapter, Spirit of '76, was organized on May 2nd and was granted a charter by the National Society on June 11th. Under the guidance of the first State Regent, Mrs. J. M. Ferguson, Spirit of '76 Chapter began the LSDAR's first 100 years. It was the only chapter in Louisiana until 1907.
Mrs. Ferguson was followed by Miss Katharine L. Minor, whose three-year term coincided with the time of the Columbian Exposition. Mrs. Benjamin S. Story succeeded Miss Minor in 1897.
The fourth State Regent, Mrs. C. H. Tebault, served from 1901 until 1910, during which time Loyalty Chapter was organized in Alexandria. On October 7, 1908, two other chapters were organized in Shreveport. They were Shreveport and Pelican Chapters. Later, in 1927, a contribution of $1,500 by Mrs. Tebault's son was given in her memory for the construction of the Louisiana Box in Constitution Hall. The year 1909 marked the beginning of state conferences in Louisiana, with the first conference being held in the home of Miss Virginia Fairfax in New Orleans.
By 1939, the LSDAR had 25 chapters. The state society now has 46 chapters.
This website updated September 11, 2014
Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.