Organized April 20, 1929, with fourteen charter members, Attakpas Chapter in Franklin, St. Mary Parish, Louisiana, was the 14th chapter in the state.
The first regent was Mrs. Henry S. Palfrey to whose memory the members will always be grateful for helping to organize the chapter. Other officers installed at the first meeting were Miss Nettie Bonney, vice regent; Mrs. John M. Caffery, registrar; Mrs. George W. Taylor, secretary; Mrs. C.M. Horton, treasurer. Charter members included Miss Josephine Bonney, Mrs. R.E. Kemper, Mrs. Walter Kemper, Mrs. M. McNulty, Mrs. John Thislewaite, Mrs. Paul Trowbridge and Mrs. H.M. Hayne.
The name Attakapas is derived from a tribe of Indians who lived in an area known as Attakapas District. Located in southwest Louisiana, that district is now divided into the civil parishes of St. Mary, Iberia, and St. Martin. In Baron Pontalba's memoir to Napoleon, he speaks of Attakapas as being one of the most fertile lands in America.
Grevemberg House Museum