In 1955, Mrs. Camilla Mays Frank held a meeting at 817 St. Louis Street in the heart of New Orleans' historic French Quarter, to lay the foundation for a new chapter. And on October 16, 1956, Vieux Carré Chapter was officially born, to accommodate the working woman with Saturday meetings. Today, Vieux Carré Chapter continues to grow with a talented and diverse group of members of all ages, dedicated to heritage and community service.
Our remarkable founder, Mrs. Frank, enlisted in the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps in September of 1942, at the outbreak of World War II, just barely under the 45 year old age limit. Serving as Captain in the WAACS in war torn Europe, she organized Special Service Clubs throughout the European Theatre of War under General Dwight D. Eisenhower's command.
In 1946, she was the only woman among 146 recipients of the French "Croix de Guerre" presented at Napoleon's Tomb in Paris. She also received three Battle Stars and the U.S. Army Commendation Medal for her military service. She wrote the "WAAC Marching Song" and designed the Women's Military Monument in New Orleans.